With the help of S6 student mentors, the school is excited to offer personalised study classes that are open to all S4 pupils. The classes will take place on Mondays and Tuesdays. Our S6 mentors can help with homework, past paper questions, assignments and offer study tips based on their own experiences to S4 pupils worried about their course assessments and/or exams. Refreshments are available, too!
While many of our young people are in the process of applying for University courses and receiving offers of places, here are some links to scholarship and funding opportunities available at Glasgow, Glasgow Caledonian, Strathclyde and UWS Universities. There are a variety of funding opportunities to search for, some for undergraduate study in general, others which are course specific. There are a variety of deadlines for submission and it is best not only to check out what’s available, but to read the advice and tips provided, including whether or not you need to sign up to a portal or apply directly. Some hints and tips from Glasgow Caledonian include:
- Check that you meet the criteria
- Be aware of the deadline and make sure you submit in time
- When filling out scholarship application forms, be complete, concise and creative. People who read these applications want to know the real you, not just your name. The application should clearly emphasise your ambitions, motivations and what makes you different!
- Tell us about your long and short-term goals and how the scholarship could help you reach them
- Detail any achievements and awards you have received in the past
- What impact would the financial support have on your ability to study
- Do you have any personal or family circumstances that contribute to your need for financial assistance?
- Think of the university’s mission for the common good and refer to this during your application
- Make sure your application is neatly typed, well-written and does not contain any errors or typos
- Remember you are applying for a scholarship and not the course itself so detail your financial need, motivational and future aspirations in relation to the course… not all the requirements needed to get onto the course.